The Fountain Valley Professional Association bargaining team and the employer have agreed on dates to discuss resolution of our remaining contract differences through the Board of Inquiry (BOI). R. Douglas Collins will serve as the neutral arbitrator. The dates for the hearings—which are limited to the negotiating parties—are April 8, 9 and 21, 2020.
Our team will provide updates on our progress with the Fountain Valley Hospital-Tenet management team. We have prepared this Q & A to help you understand this unique process.
Please watch your emails and texts for important details and updates.
Questions and Answers About the BOI Process
What is the timeline for a Board of Inquiry?
- Fountain Valley Professional Association and Fountain Valley Hospital-Tenet will argue their cases in front of the Board of Inquiry (BOI) on April 8, 9 and 21, 2020.
- After the parties finish their arguments, the Board of Inquiry will deliberate on the issues.
- Arbitrator R. Douglas Collins will send the parties a written decision within 30 days.
- If either party rejects the Board of Inquiry decision (called a report) in whole or in part, any unresolved matters will be subject to final and binding-interest arbitration.
- The binding arbitration process will add additional time to the timeline, which could be another six months.
- However, the decision reached at binding arbitration will be final and binding for all parties.
Will we meet at the table at all now that the BOI dates are confirmed?
Throughout the BOI process, FVPA and the Employer may still choose to meet and negotiate a resolution to the contract. FVPA has always been open to returning to the table, resuming negotiations and reaching an agreement that is fair and equitable for all parties.
What issues are heard before the BOI?
Arbitrator Collins only hears the issues that are at deadlock.
If the BOI decision is rejected by us or management, what is the timeline to secure an arbitrator to declare the binding decision?
A request to arbitrate any unresolved issues must be made within 10 days of receipt of the written report. At that point, both parties will agree to use Arbitrator Collins or choose another arbitrator to decide the issues. Once the arbitration is done, the Arbitrator will have 45 days to submit the final and binding report.