In 2013, UNAC/UHCP inaugurated an ambitious scholarship program, which remains a successful part of our union’s support of professional education, training, and advanced certification.
UNAC/UHCP has distributed close to 200 scholarships, through the Kathy J. Sackman Member Scholarship for UNAC/UHCP members; the Sonia Moseley Family Scholarship for family of UNAC/UHCP members; the Delima MacDonald Community Scholarship, an at-large scholarship; and the Alexis G. Philius Scholarship, aimed at increasing the number of health care professionals of Black/African descent.
Applications for the 2022 UNAC/UHCP scholarship programs are now open. Click here for more information.
📧 Sign up to join the UNAC/UHCP scholarship email list
Kathy J. Sackman Member Scholarship
The member scholarship was named for 33-year UNAC/UHCP President Kathy Sackman, RN, who grew the union from a handful of women at her kitchen table to 20,000 members all over Southern California when she retired in 2010. The UNAC/UHCP Kathy Sackman Member Scholarship Program is an ongoing program of scholarships available to full dues-paying UNAC/UHCP members to continue their education in the health care field.
- Five scholarships of $5,000 each
- Available to UNAC/UHCP members in good standing
Sonia Moseley Family Scholarship
The family scholarship was named for Sonia Moseley, NP, the voice of workers on the job and in the California Legislature and Board of Registered Nursing, as well as countless other U.S. agencies and commissions. The UNAC/UHCP Sonia Moseley Family Scholarship Program is an ongoing program of scholarships available to the spouses, registered domestic partners, and dependent children (as defined by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service) of full dues-paying UNAC/UHCP members.
- Five scholarships of $5,000 each
- Available to family members of UNAC/UHCP members in good standing
Delima MacDonald Community Scholarship
Delima MacDonald, RN, 30-year UNAC/UHCP Treasurer, taught generations of UNAC/UHCP affiliate leaders the value of a dollar, and ensured they spent union dollars wisely. The UNAC/UHCP Delima MacDonald Community Scholarship Program is an ongoing program of scholarships available to students seeking health care professional degrees at an accredited institution.
- Five scholarships of $2,000 each
- Available to community members
Alexis G. Philius Scholarship
The UNAC/UHCP Alexis G. Philius Scholarship is a UNAC/UHCP scholarship program introduced to provide resources and support to students of Black/African descent pursuing education toward a career in health care. Scholarships for $2,000 will be awarded to five students.
Lack of diversity has significant consequences on health outcomes, health equity for patients and communities of color. UNAC/UHCP has decided to address underrepresentation in health professions with this new scholarship.
Alexis Goudeau Philius, RN, noticed homeless people on Los Angeles streets on her commute to and from work and was inspired to make a difference. She founded Highly Favored: A Blessing to Others, a nonprofit organization that distributes food, toiletries, supplies, and warm clothing to homeless people in Los Angeles County. The organization is best known for the annual Backpack Friday drive held the day after Thanksgiving.
- All scholarships will be awarded to students enrolled in a degree program or continuing education courses in a health care field at an accredited college, university, trade or technical school. Student must be enrolled in classes this fall, any time between August 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022.
- All applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.0 in order to apply. If an applicant is not currently in a degree program, applicant GPA in the last completed degree program must be at least 3.0.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in August via email.
- Awards will be paid to the college or university in which the recipient is enrolled, and must be disbursed in August/September 2022.
- If you have won a UNAC/UHCP scholarship in the past, you are not eligible to win another scholarship.
For questions about the application or scholarship claims process, please reach out to our scholarship team.