We know you’re fatigued from fighting this virus for months and the prospect of worse days to come is daunting. We have never seen anything like this pandemic in our lifetimes. If you need help, reach out. Alert your officers, your stewards, or your staff rep. Support your teammates and take care of yourself.
This is why we are here, as a union, for each other. This is going to be a difficult time and we need to support each other and our patients.
Here are some ways we’ve worked together to address the unique challenges of COVID-19:
- Pushed for voluntary cross training opportunities at Fountain Valley where units with lower census can support areas that are heavily hit within each professional’s scope of practice
- Pushed for the hospital to hire up – in the month of June, over 80 permanent RNs and 11 travelers were hired to fill vacancies and backfill
- Applications open for additional 11 permanent RN positions
- UNAC/UHCP communicating with Governor’s office to mitigate relaxed staffing ratios and other emergency regulations
- PPE donations distributed regularly as available
- Urged HR to improve EAP accessibility and provide virtually (access by calling 866-335-2340)
Nurse-To-Patient Ratio Waiver
As most FVPA registered nurses are aware, back in March, Governor Newsom issued an executive order waiving enforcement of nurse-to-patient ratios as part of a group of orders declaring a state of emergency to address the pandemic.
Although the waiver expired on June 30, the State has given hospitals two weeks to staff up to DHS ratios. Going forward, any waiver will require an application and approval that will only be valid for 90 days. At that point, the facility must reapply.
Let’s continue to stand together! Our sisters and brothers in 3E need our support as they work to address serious issues in their unit. Click here to sign a letter of support that they plan to take to management.